Good nutrition is integral to keep immune cells healthy and functioning properly to provide protection against harmful pathogens.
While the majority of the nutrition needed for a strong immune system can be obtained through diet alone, using supplements to boost your immune system is a great way to fill any nutritional gaps and prime your body to fight infection and disease.
If you want to give your immune system a boost, here are 10 supplements with valuable immune-boosting properties:
1. Vitamin C: Widely accepted as a cure for the common cold, vitamin C may reduce the longevity of colds and prevent infection.
2. Vitamin E: Critical for proper immune function, vitamin E is a valuable infection-fighting antioxidant.
3. Vitamin D: Provides valuable immune support by stimulating the production of antimicrobial peptides (organically-produced antibiotics).
4. Folic Acid: Known for providing various health benefits, deficiencies in folic acid have been shown to alter the immune response.
5. Iron: Iron is an essential mineral needed for the growth and development of immune cells.
6. Selenium: Selenium is known to decrease oxidative stress, which in turn reduces inflammation and enhances the immune response.
7. Zinc: Zinc is an important mineral needed to produce new immune cells. It has also been shown to reduce the length of colds.
8. Probiotics: Shown to inhibit the growth of pathogenic bacteria while stimulating immune cell activity.
9. Curcumin: A powerful antioxidant which has been shown to support immune system function by modulating the growth and response of certain immune cells.
10. Glutathione: Can boost important white blood cells known as lymphocytes, which form a considerable part of the immune system.
11. Andrographis Extract: A herbal supplement which has been proven to treat the early symptoms of Covid-19, while also reducing the severity of the illness.
At The Renaissance Clinic, we also recommend our clients take supplements for the immune system, which provide valuable all-round immune-boosting support.
While nutrition and supplementation can go a long way to supporting overall immune health, complete health requires a holistic approach.
At the Renaissance Clinic, we provide a range of integrative health and medicine services which are designed to help you to achieve optimal health and well-being. Find out more about our services and our holistic approach to health and wellness.